Revd Dhoe Craig-Wild
The Rectory
Rectory Drive
Whiston
Rotherham
S60 4JG
Whiston Parish Church
St Mary Magdalene, Whiston; Rotherham

The Rectory

The first Rectory for the church was built on Moorhouse Lane - between five and ten minutes walk away from the church across the fields to the east. This large-detached property was constructed circa. 1720 and was in use for around 120 years. Today, it is a private residence. Little is known about where in Whiston the incumbent Rector lived prior to 1720.

The second Rectory was built on land adjacent to the church and was the Rector's main residence from 1844 until the mid-1960s. This property was an even larger detached building than the first one and provided comfortable accommodation not only for the Rector and his family, but also for any servants they may have had. The property sits within its own grounds with impressive views looking across the village towards Sheffield. It has extensive, well-kept gardens which were used by the Rectors of the time to host parties in the summer months. These same gardens have been used in recent years to host the Church's Summer Fair in June of each year. Today, the property and its gardens are owned and operated by the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation (CISWO); who use it as its headquarters.

Opposite the old Rectory is the current one: a contemporary detached property built in the 1960s in what were formerly the walled gardens/orchard of the previous Rectory. The current Rector and their family lives here whilst serving as the incumbant.