The Present Day

Part Four: Additions and Alterations up to 1966

There were various upgrades made to the infrastructure during the first half of the 20th Century. First of all, in 1913 the church installed a new organ thanks to the generous donations from Eliza Rowden Hall (please see the Church Organ page for more information on this). Following this, additional bells were added to the tower in 1915 (bequethed by Martha White of Morthen). Ever since, the church has retained a peal of eight bells set on an iron frame that is built into the tower walls. Third, in 1922, the Side Altar (South Altar) was rededicated after the new main altar was built in 1882/3. This side altar remains so to this day. Finally, new electrical lighting (1963) and a new heating system (1965) were added and the building remained in that configuration until the 1990s.


Part Five: 1990s Modernisation


In 1993 the neighbouring Church Institute was sold off and the money used to modernise the church throughout 1994. First, the work consisted of building a mezzanine floor at the rear of the Nave to create both Upper and Lower Meeting Rooms (with the above photograph being taken from the Upper Meeting Room during the Christingle Service in December 2016). An office and staircase for access were also installed at the same time. Second, a Kitchen and Toilets were constructed at the rear of the building (western end) to service the Lower Meeting Room. This creates a large multipurpose space that is primarily used to serve refreshments after services (and during summer / winter fayres). It also functions as a meeting room for PCC meetings. Finally, the Upper Meeting Room is mainly used by the Starfish Gang youth group to meet during services on Sunday mornings.

Second, workers constructed a new Main Altar and Altar rail in the Nave for greater ease of use during the Eucharist; as the congregation no longer has to walk past the Choir up to the High Altar (and then back again) to receive Communion. Third, the Baptismal Font was resited to its current location on the southern side of the Church, by an old side entrance that is not currently used for access. The church remains in this configuration to this day except for the installation of a new, and much improved, heating system in 2016. We are also anticipating the forthcoming installation of an Aumbry for the storage of reserved sacrament.

All of this work has resulted in a functional yet photogenic building that, with regular maintenance, is currently fit for purpose.

Church Diagram