The Rectory and Institute

The Rectory

The first Rectory for the church was built on Moorhouse Lane - between five and ten minutes walk away from the church across the fields to the east. This large, detached, property was constructed circa. 1720 and was in use for around 120 years. Today, it is a private residence. Little is known about where in Whiston the incumbent Rector lived prior to 1720.

The second Rectory was built on land adjacent to the church and was the Rector's main residence from 1844 until the mid-1960s. This property was an even larger detached building than the first one and provided comfortable accommodation not only for the Rector and his family, but also for any servants they may have had. The property sits within its own grounds with impressive views looking across the village towards Sheffield. It has extensive, well-kept gardens which were used by the Rectors of the time to host parties in the summer months. These same gardens have been used in recent years to host the Church's Summer Fair at the end of June of each year. Today, the property and its gardens are owned and operated by the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation (CISWO); who use it as its headquarters.

Opposite the old Rectory is the current one: a contemporary, detached, property built in the 1960s in what were formerly the walled gardens/orchard of the previous Rectory. The current Rector and their family usually lives here whilst serving as the incumbant; although given that the church is currently without a Rector, the property has been rented out to private tenents for the forseeable future.

The Church Institute


The Church Institute was first constructed as a multipurpose venue for entertainment and social events in the village as Whiston's population grew from the start of the 20th Century onwards. It was first built in 1913 using money received as a generous gift from Eliza Rowden Hall of Melbourne, Australia. The money was donated in memory of her parents - George and Elizabeth Kirk - who were born in Whiston.

The Institute itself was opened with a grand ceremony, attended by the Mayor of Rotherham; and, for many decades, played host to a plethora of village events such as wedding receptions, gang shows, concerts; dances, New Years Eve celebrations and other social evenings.

However, by the latter half of the 20th Century, after the current Parish Hall was built; and especially after the renovation of the Manorial Barn took place in the mid-1980s; demand for the Institute declined. Eventually, the building was deemed surplus to requirements by the church authorities and it was sold off for £90,000 in 1993. Today it is a luxury, detached, private residence enjoying a prominent location within the village.